We Are First Wave/ferst/
- coming before all others in time or order; earliest; 1st
- foremost in position, rank, or importance.
- move one's hand to and fro in greeting or as a signal.
- a long body of water curling into an arched form and breaking on the shore
- a periodic disturbance of the particles of a substance that may be propagated without net movement of the particles, such as in the passage of undulating motion, heat, or sound.
The First Wave Hip Hop and Urban Arts Learning Community is a cutting-edge multicultural artistic program that offers competitive undergraduate scholarship recipients the opportunity to live, study and create together in a close-knit, dynamic campus community.
Administered by the Office of Multicultural Arts Initiatives (OMAI), the First Wave Learning Community is the first university program in the country centered on urban arts, spoken word and hip-hop culture.
John Vietnam Nyguen, a First Wave student who unexpectedly died. The program is dedicated to keeping his memory and work alive.
Click here to see his work.
First Wave students are published authors, nationally renowned and internationally ranked poets, rappers making noise on the underground, and community organizers.
First Wave students and Alumni have received jobs and internships from the United States Embassy, The New York Knicks, Teach For America, Brave New Voices International Youth Poetry Slam, and many more groundbreaking institutions.